In today’s post, I want to share a really neat tool for your congregation. All of us have probably participated in the making of a church pictorial directory. And we have probably all come to the realization that by the time the directory is completed, it has become outdated.
Well, here’s a solution to this problem — A digital pictorial directory. The Karns Church of Christ in Knoxville, TN (where I preach) has recently created a digital directory.
What’s a digital directory? Well, it’s a directory that can be downloaded to your Android or Apple smart-phone or tablet (including Kindle). And as a new member is added, or as someone moves away, these changes can be made in the office and automatically and instantly updated on everyone’s devices.
Here are a few details.
- We use an app called, “Instant Church Directory.” It can be downloaded from your Google Play Store or the Apple Store.
- The members download the app, add their password (which only has to be done once) and they have access to the directory on their phone or tablet.
- It is secure. The only people who can access your directory are people who are in the directory and the information is encrypted.
- The information for each family is hyperlinked so that if I tap the phone number, my phone feature will pop up. If I tap the email address, my mail program will pop up. And if I tap their home address, my map program will pop up and give me turn-by-turn driving directions to their house.
- In addition to Name, Address, Phone, Email, you can also add birthdays and a paragraph sharing details (i.e. hobbies, work, background, etc.).
- As a member leaves or is added, that change can be made in the church office, and it will instantly update the information on everyone’s devices.
- If you’re worrying that not everyone has a smart-phone or tablet and you don’t want to exclude people, this program also allows you to print out paper copies that can be bound and used just like a typical pictorial directory.
- The cost is free to the members to download the app. There is a monthly fee of just “$10.00” to the church for the service.