Have you ever had questions
like that asked of you? Through the years, I have often had
people ask the question, "Do I have to go to all the services of the
church? I mean, what if I don't go on Sunday night or
Wednesday night? Do I have to go at those times if I
faithfully go Sunday morning?"
Well, allow me to answer that
question with a few questions of my own.
- Do you have to hug and kiss your
- Do you have to remember your wife's
- Do you have to call home when you're
late coming home from work?
- Do you have to buy Christmas presents
for your family?
- Do you have to attend ballgames and
band functions in which your children are involved?
- Do you have to attend the funeral of a
close friend or loved one?
- Do you have to say, "I love you" when
you love someone?
I think you see the point.
Sometimes we are guilty of asking the wrong questions. There
are some things in life that we don't "have" to do,
but we "get " to do. In fact, even asking the
question, "Do I have to..." is terribly inappropriate.
When my relationship with my God is
based on what I "have" to do and what I don't "have" to do, then I
had better take a long hard look at that